Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Truth-Teller (A)Paradox

If a man always tells the truth, and his statements never affirm anything false, how can you know? Suppose I approach a fork in a road, I am forced to choose one of the paths, and I have a time limit. If I do not choose, I default to the wrong path. There is a man standing at the entrance to the right path. He identifies himself as "Truth-man". The following dialogue ensues:

L: Should I take the left path or the right path?
Truth-man: Take the path to the right.
L: Are you telling the truth?
Truth-man: I always tell the truth.
L: But if you always lied, then your previous statement would be false, meaning that you do not always tell the truth. And if you do not always tell the truth, how can I trust any given claim you make?
Truth-man: But if it is true that I always tell the truth, then my claim would also be true.
L: That is circular.
Truth-man: The truth is coherent with itself.
L: I still have no way of getting myself into your circle. Even a pure liar may be coherent.
Truth-man: Two plus two is four. Now you know that I am at least capable of telling the truth, so you can rule out the "pure liar" theory.
L: Thanks. What is three multiplied by two?
Truth-man: Six.
L: We could do this all day.
Truth-man: Every truth I tell testifies to my integrity.
L: Are you wise, too?
Truth-man: Yes. Being one who always tells the truth entails that I be one who is wise.
L: What is the best way for me to determine whether you always tell the truth?
Truth-man: In my wisdom I know of a very good reason why I should not give you that answer. In addition to telling the truth and being wise, I only behave in accordance with truth and wisdom. I therefore cannot tell you the answer to your question.
L: Why can't you tell me the answer to my question?
Truth-man: Your questions will only dead-end if you continue to seek what you are.
L: What makes the sky blue?
Truth-man: Finding out certain truths in certain ways is essential to your growth, and being wise entails that I be good. I therefore cannot tell you the answer to your question.
L: What should I seek?
Truth-man: You should seek truth, wisdom, and goodness.
L: What about the fork in the road?
Truth-man: If I am wise, I know what is best for you to seek. If I am good I will tell you what it is. Give up your goal to seek my things and you will find your way.

1 comment:

Derek said...

"I still have no way of getting myself into your circle."

--the crisis of all epistemologies. That's a beautiful line Louis.