Monday, September 10, 2007

Plotinus on beauty.

Lately I’ve been getting really frustrated with contemporary philosophy of mind for the simple reason that I think it’s just crazy to think my thoughts are atoms; and further because I can’t prove this by some more basic argument. Anyway, I came across the following passage in Plotinus and it reminded me of an age much more intellectually profound than this one, of the things I believe most fervently, and why I love philosophy.







Plotinus on the affect of Beauty, its nature, and where it comes from (its cause).



Our interpretation is that the Soul- by the very truth of its nature, by its affiliation to the Noblest Existents in the hierarchy of Being- when it sees anything of its kin, or any trace of that kinship, thrills with immediate delight, takes its own to itself, and thus stirs anew to the sense of its nature and of its affinity.
But, is there any such likeness between the loveliness of this world and the splendors of the Supreme? Such a likeness in the particulars would make the two orders alike: but what is there in common between beauty here and beauty There?

We hold that all the loveliness of this world comes by communion in Ideal-Form (e.g. God).

“… Your will be done
On earth as it is in Heaven….”

No comments: